The “Preclinical MRI investigations of neurological diseases, biomarkers and therapeutics” team aims at investigating imaging strategies and translational approaches in experimental models. Imaging biomarkers are crucial for the diagnosis and for the longitudinal follow up of disease and therapeutics.
Translational approaches aim at using the same imaging and processing tools in animal models as in clinical research settings.
The team develops in vivo and post-mortem magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) protocols at very high magnetic field (11.7T) for the evaluation of rodent and small primate models of movement disorders such as Parkinson’s disease. It requires a comprehensive approach from animal models, to imaging and to histological validations.
The main developments of the team are:
(1) Translational MRI markers of neurodegeneration and neuroinflammation
(2) Vectorized contrast agents delivered through ultrasound-mediated blood-brain-barrier opening for MRI detection and follow up of diagnostic and therapeutic drugs into the brain for translational applications
(3) Therapeutic evaluations in animal models
The ICM 11.7T facility includes the entire pipeline for preclinical studies: data acquisition, post-processing and data analysis as well as animal handling and biological support.
- 11.7T MRI system (Biospec Avance 117/16 USR, AVIII, Gradients BGA9-S, Paravision 6)
- Animal support (anesthesia, physiological monitoring, cradles)
- Proton radio-frequency coils (resonator for rat head / mouse whole body in transmit /receive 38 mm, transmit resonator 72 mm, mouse head surface coil)
- Other nuclei radiofrequency coils (surface transmit/receive 1H/13C 20 mm, surface 1H/31P 20 mm)
- Cryoprobe (Bruker)
- Focused ultrasound system combined to the MRI system
Staff and CENIR collaborators
Stéphane Lehéricy, MD-PhD, head of CENIR
Mathieu Santin, PhD, MR and ultrasound physicist
Laura Mouton, PhD, post-doctoral fellow
Francesca Branzoli, PhD
Romain Valabrègue, PhD
Eric Bardinet, PhD
Lydia Yahia-Cherif, PhD
Benoit Béranger, Engineer